Sunday, August 22, 2010

Card Class

Well, I am home from a long and well rested vacation in Ludington. It is good to be home, but now it is time to get my home organinzed and my card stuff organized (it has been all packed up from the craft show). It will take me a day or two to get back on track. Plus I need to get back into the classroom and organize that as well. This week will be a little hectic (before I go back to work next week). Allie (my senior) has orientation tomorrow and senior pictures on Tuesday. Tomorrow is also Tori's 20th birthday (dinner out to celebrate). Busy, busy, busy! As promised, I said I would show you the cards I made at the card class at the Scrapbook Nook. It was a nice variety of designs and techniques, something cute, something challenging (the origami) and something using new "mediums" ("rub and buff" to antique the bird cage and beads with jump rings). These cards were very detailed, but most of the work was already done for us, she had all the pieces stamped, die cut and embossed - she even had the little curlers made for us! All we had to do was ink, color and assemble. (I like this kind of class!) The origami crane card was based on a story "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes". Based on the true story of a young Japanese girl who contracts leukemia as a result of the atom bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, the story follows Sadako as a healthy schoolgirl winning relay races, through her diagnosis with the atom bomb sickness, to her long stay in the hospital. It is in the hospital that she first begins making origami cranes to pass the time. Her ultimate goal is to make 1000, but she dies with only 644 completed. Sadako's classmates finish making the remaining cranes, and all 1000 are buried with her. It was a very touching story. I don't think I would be able to fold another crane - it was a bit difficult! Well, I hope to be creating some new stuff soon! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Create from a Kit

  I'm always on the look out for these kind of cards.  They are so easy to create from.  By using a few tools and supplies from your sta...